Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Stopping smoking is the best thing that you can do for your health and that of your baby and family. It is never too late to stop smoking and now is as good a time as any!
There are many benefits to stopping smoking not only for your health but for your pocket as well. Did you know that a 20 per day smoker will save over £2000 in the first year of giving up! Think of all the things you could buy for you and your baby.!!
Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemicals – more than 100 of which are listed as poisonous and at least 50 of which are cancer causing.
Children breathe more rapidly than adults, and these chemicals easily pass into the lungs of children. Children who live in smoky atmospheres often inhale the equivalent of 100 or more cigarettes per year.
Because babies’ and young children’s lungs and bodies are still growing, they are even more affected by smoke than an older child or adult. Their immune systems are less well developed which makes them more likely to develop serious illnesses. Some of these are outlined below:
- Approximately 17,000 children in the U.K. suffer from chest infections as a result of second-hand smoke.
- 1/3 of cases of ‘glue ear’, which can cause partial deafness, is linked to parental smoking.
- Children who live in smoky atmospheres are twice as likely to suffer from asthma and other respiratory infections.
- Babies and children regularly exposed to smoke are more likely to suffer from coughs and colds, and be away from school more often.
- Babies exposed to cigarette smoke are at greater risk of cot death.
About 42% of children in the U.K. live in a home where a parent / parents smoke so the best thing you and your partner can do is:
- STOP SMOKING. For more information call us on 01709 422444 where we will discuss the options available to you. Or discuss this with your Midwife or Health Visitor
- Make your home SMOKEFREE by smoking outside and ask your visitors to do the same. Imagine, no tobacco smell, less decorating costs
- NEVER smoke in the car, 3 cigarettes in a car with a partially opened window is like being in ‘what used to be’ a typical smoky pub
- Smokers increase their risk of HOUSE FIRE by 40%. Smoke detectors and fire safety checks are provided FREE by your local fire station or we can arrange that for you!
ALL the evidence highlights the benefits of a smokefree home!