Rotherham cancer patients have given another year of high ratings to The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust for their treatment.
The National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2016 was completed by almost 73,000 patients across England who gave their views about their care. The Trust maintained its strong position from the previous year and its performance was amongst the highest in the country.
• The Trust compared favourably across the national headline outcomes: on a scale of 0-10 where patients were asked to rate their care, the Trust’s overall rating was 8.8 (locally only Barnsley scored slightly higher at 8.9). This Trust performance was also comparable with national leading cancer centres (The Christie (Manchester), Salford and Royal Marsden) whose overall score was 8.9.
• 81% of Rotherham respondents said that they were definitely involved as much as they wanted to be in decisions about their care
• 98% of respondents said they were given the name of a Clinical Nurse Specialist who would support them through their treatment. When asked how easy or difficult it had been to contact their Clinical Nurse Specialist, 92% of respondents said that it had been “quite easy” or “very easy”
• 90% of respondents said that, overall, they were always treated with dignity and respect while they were in hospital
• 99% of respondents said that hospital staff told them who to contact if they were worried about their condition or treatment after they left hospital
“This is another strong performance from the Trust, which has an excellent record in treating patients with cancer,“ said Dr Vicky Athey, Cancer Director. “The Cancer Services Management Team would like to thank ALL staff across the Trust for their hard work and continuing efforts in ensuring patients’ experience of cancer care remains high.”
The Trust is also performing well in relation to patients with cancer being treated in less than 62 days – the national target. In May it was 29th out of 154 trusts with a total of 87.8% of patients with cancer being treated within the target time.