A range of dietetic services are provided by the Respiratory Specialist Dietician to patients under the care of BreathingSpace.
- Weight management courses to patients needing to lose weight.
- Outpatient clinics for patients with a range of nutritional problems who are able to attend BreathingSpace.
- Home visits for patients who need nutritional advice but are housebound or too ill to travel.
- Dietetic cover for the inpatient unit.
- Talks to the rehabilitation classes on nutritional issues for patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Feeding clinics which are run jointly by the Dietician and Speech and Language Therapists for patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease related swallowing difficulties.
- Practical nutritional support clinics run by the Dietician and Occupational Therapist.
Who may benefit from BreathingSpace?
- Obese Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease patients with and without swallowing problems.
- Malnourished Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease patients with and without swallowing problems.
- Palliative care for patients with breathing problems.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease patients with existing co-morbidities which have nutritional implications include diabetes and heart disease.
How to refer to Breathing space
Referral of patients to the dietician at BreathingSpace is usually by specialist nurses, specialist physiotherapists and specialist Occupational therapists when patients are assessed on the inpatient unit or in clinics or rehabilitation sessions.
If you are a GP and you feel that one of your patients would benefit from assessment and advice from a dietician you could mention this in the referral and this can be arranged. Unfortunately the dietician at BreathingSpace is only able to see patients who are under the care of BreathingSpace for rehabilitation, palliative care or as inpatients.