Admissions Unit is a pre-operative area, where patients are admitted and
prepared for their operation on the day of surgery. Patients are
transferred to the Theatre Suite
for their operation and then onto a ward following their operation. The
Theatre Admissions unit is a seated area, there are no beds.
Admissions Unit is located on Level B and you can contact us using the details on the right. Please only ring the Theatre Admissions Unit on the day you are to be admitted. Please ring the Pre-Admissions Centre if;
- you need advice about your admission
- you need to cancel or postpone your surgery before the day.
Coming in for an operation?
- Have a bath or a shower before you come into hospital
- Ensure you follow your starving instruction as given below
- Do not chew gum or suck sweets
- Only take your usual medications if you have been advised by your
pre-operative assessment nurse to do so
- If you smoke, you are advised to stop/reduce your smoking. Please do
not smoke 24 hours before your operation
- Please do not drink any alcohol for 24 hours before your operation.
What should I bring?
- You will need a dressing gown and a pair of slippers.
- Please remove and leave all jewellery and body piercings at home.
You do not need to remove your wedding ring, but it will need to be
covered with tape. If you are are undergoing hand surgery you will have
to remove your wedding ring. If you have been unable to remove your piercings please let us know
when you arrive.
- Please bring in all of your regular medications.
- Do not
put on any make up and remove any nail varnish and/or false nails before you
come into hospital. If these have not
been removed we will ask you to remove them on admission.
mobility aids that you need.
may wish to bring a book or magazine with you.
ensure you bring in contact numbers of your relatives/carers/transport.
bring hearing aids, glasses as you require them, preferably do not bring
Do I need to starve?
It is very important that your stomach is empty of food and drink before your operation. If you do not follow your starving instructions your operation will be cancelled.
For advice following your pre-operative assessment - please see the card you will have been given by your pre-operative nurse for more contact numbers.
Nothing to eat after 2am, this includes food, milk, sweets, chewing gum and fizzy drinks. You may drink water only until 6am.
Nothing to eat after 7am, this includes food, milk, sweets, chewing gum and fizzy drinks. You may drink water only until 11am.
Can someone come with me?
Your relative or friend is welcome to accompany you to the Theatre Admissions Unit; although they will be asked to leave once you have been admitted. If you are being treated as a day case, the Day Surgery staff will contact your transport once you are ready to be discharged home. If your operation requires a stay in hospital then your friends and relatives will be able to visit you on your ward at visiting times.
Please note that the Day Surgery Centre is unable to offer visiting times.