As the festivities draw to a close, having enjoyed one too many mince pies, you may be thinking about eating more healthily and shedding the pounds in time for the warmer weather.
Reshape Rotherham, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust’s free, fun and friendly adult weight management programme consists of 10 weekly, hour long sessions and helps people to make long-term changes towards a healthier diet and lifestyle.
The programme is delivered in community venues around the Rotherham borough such as health centres and church halls is for people with a Rotherham registered GP and a BMI kg/m2 over 25.
The programme helps people understand how to eat a balanced healthy diet, how making small changes can help weight loss and looks at triggers to over-eating, goal setting and appropriate portion sizes. Also, new for 2013, each member will receive a personalised kcal controlled nutritional plan.
Last year an impressive 89% of people attending Reshape lost weight and 92% of participants lost waist circumference.
It's so easy to register for a Reshape programme. Simply contact the team on 01709 427694 to request an application form or speak to your GP.
To help you kick off a healthy New Year, Reshape Rotherham have compiled a list of handy, healthy tips.
- Clear out your Christmas sweeties….get rid of those tubs that are hanging around the Christmas tree. Did you know that each chocolate contains around 40kcals! That should put you off those leftover coffee and strawberry creams
- Get out for a brisk, healthy walk, kick the leaves and kick off the weight loss
- Take advantage of the gym and leisure facilities, they have some great New Year deals, or look at the wonderful offers available for those joining Reshape Rotherham
- It’s a great time to look at your alcohol intake and give your body a break
- Fill half your plate with vegetables
- Buy lots of seasonal vegetables and make a hearty stew pot to warm you on a cold January night
- Eat out less and give your battered wallet a rest, cook at home and plan your meals
- Make the twelve night of Christmas a time to review your progress and reward yourself with a non-food treat
- Make a small change, such as trying 1% fat milk, still a great source of calcium and better for the waistline
- Use up your Christmas clementines as a healthy snack which can also boost your iron intake and give you the energy to hit the January sales!
For more advice on healthy eating and to find out about a Reshape Rotherham course near you, contact the team today on 01709 427694.