What do we do in the cardiology department?
We help patients with a variety of heart problems ranging from heart attacks to unstable angina, acute coronary syndrome, acute rhythm problems or need temporary pacemakers. We also see patients that need elective cardioversion.
How will I be admitted to the Coronary Care Unit?
Usually you’ll be admitted to our Coronary Care Unit via the Accident and Emergency department downstairs. The Coronary Care Unit (CCU) is on level A and has lift access from the A&E department. Occasionally there are self-referrals.
If you’re suffering from palpitations or intermittent palpitations you may be referred by your consultant and be loaned a Cardio Memo System to take home for up to two weeks. You put this device on your chest and it traces your heart rhythm. The tracing can be obtained by staff at the hospital through the patient attaching the device to their phone line.
Where is the Coronary Care Unit?
When you arrive, you’ll be assessed before being assigned to one of our beds.
On our cardiology unit;
- We have five curtained bays and two cubicles for critically ill patients or those in isolation.
- The nurses station has glass walls, so that our nurses can see all of our patients.
- There is a seminar room which is to be linked to monitoring equipment, so that staff can observe and learn from live ECG examples. Attached to the suite is a ‘Pacing Theatre’ for emergency temporary pacemakers.
- Importantly we have an overnight stay room for relatives.
The unit also provides a cardioversion service every Friday and a Transoesophageal Echocardiogram service weekly.
Our Cardiology Suite
Next to the Coronary Care Unit (CCU) is our Cardiology suite.
Here we provide an investigative service, including facilities for open access ECGs, exercise testing, Echocardiogram and facilities for a Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic and Pacemaker clinic with follow up clinic.
All Cardiac Outpatient Clinics and investigations will take place in one area, improving patient convenience and facilities.
Our Angiography Suite
Our Angiography suite allows us to carry out routine angiograms and permanent pacemakers.
We are regularly invited to take part in national and international studies and trials. This means that we remain up to date with new developments and knowledge in the area of cardiology.
Our reception and other contacts are on the right.
- Cardiology Nurse Specialist: Tel. 01709 307216